Texas Driver Education

Why Expert Japanese Knotweed Surveys Are Required

When a property is impacted by Japanese knotweed, expert japanese knotweed surveys are required in order to establish the extent of the infestation and put in place an appropriate management plan. These plans can include removal of the weed, site excavation and treatment programmes. A survey will also provide a site specific risk assessment rating, which will be useful for mortgage lenders when the property is being sold.

A reputable Japanese knotweed specialist, like Taylor Total Weed Control, will carry out a Japanese Knotweed House Survey and provide a full report. The cost of a Japanese knotweed survey will depend on the size of the property and whether a site inspection is required, which can add an additional £150 to the survey costs. A JustCheck survey will be carried out when the presence of Japanese knotweed is suspected but not yet confirmed, for example if you have seen the plant growing in your neighbours garden. A TA6 survey will be carried out in the case of a new self-build or extension where the risk is highest.

If you are considering purchasing a property and suspect Japanese knotweed is present, it would be advisable to book a survey before exchange of contracts, especially if you live in a known hotspot area. If the knotweed is found, you will be legally bound to inform your mortgage lender of this fact and a management plan will need to be put in place by a PCA-registered Japanese knotweed specialist, such as Taylor Total Weed Control. This will be an additional cost to the property purchase but is essential in order to satisfy mortgage lenders and ensure a smooth transaction.

If it is not identified and treated in time, Japanese knotweed can quickly grow out of control, causing significant damage to buildings, walls, boundaries and driveways. It can also spread to neighbouring properties and into the wild, posing a serious health and safety risk. This is why it is important to have a professional Japanese knotweed management survey undertaken, as the earlier it is identified and addressed, the easier and cheaper it is to resolve.

When purchasing commercial or residential property, a PCA qualified Japanese knotweed specialist should be consulted to carry out a site survey and management plan. A reputable company, such as PBA Solutions, can offer a range of options to suit your requirements and budget. They are a RICS accredited supplier and Jon Barton, the Managing Director at PBA Solutions was a contributor to the RICS Information Paper IP 27/2012 – Japanese Knotweed and Residential Property and is also a founding member of the industry’s premier trade body for Japanese knotweed specialists, the Property Care Association Invasive Weed Control Group (IWCG).

A free survey from Japanese knotweed plus Ltd is an excellent way to gauge the health of your property in relation to this invasive species and identify any issues that require further investigation. PBA Solutions can then provide a fully compliant bespoke management plan that is backed up by an RICS approved guarantee, from five to 35 years.